Sunday, June 27, 2010


Ok, here is the deal. I am not a good journal writer. Never have been and, despite the deep desire I have to be a good one, I have accepted that I probably never will. Trying to write in a journal AND a blog overwhelms me and so here is how it is going to happen today. I am copying and pasting my latest journal entry. I am going to retract very little, so I am sorry if you didn't wish to get so personal with this trip, ha! I am also sorry for anything that may offend you. I tend to be a bit blunt on occasion ;) (You don't need to ask Ray Stewart to comment on this please) I can't promise that you are going to marvel at my great attitude, but I do promise that it's honest! ha...

This entry is from Friday -Sunday (June 25-27)

"Still no baby! I am getting so anxious for Bruce and Gertrude's baby to be here!

Friday we were able to sleep in a bit and then decided to walk around the boma (the city), just to explore. It was quite fun. We walked into random stores, and despite the constant “azungu! azungu!” (white person) we had a good time. We ate at a local restaurant, “Dear Mamas,” which is also the place where we purchase our eggs and chicken. It was good and we got a HUGE plate of food for about 3 dollars U.S. Shortly after lunch we met up with Bruce- who was in town taking care of some things/ visiting G at the hospital. We had a nice time walking and talking. Later on, we drove out to E.H… actually, Derek drove. We decided that he had better get some practice in, just in case of an emergency. He did good. We had a nice dinner- something like tacos- and we watched the Blindside before heading to bed. It was nice to have a relaxing day. It seems like every two days, we have to spend an entire day fixing something. It's Africa, I get it- but I would just rather spend my time else where. If we ever get the geezer (hot water) working, I don't think we will know what to do with ourselves!

Yesterday we woke up, got ready, took some milk to the hospital for G, and then Derek and I were dropped off at E.H. while Cindy went to Balaka with Naomi to negotiate some price about an element. It was such a fun day… because we were at the orphanage all day, of course. We got to sit in on the Bible lesson that the kids have on Saturday’s. We ate lunch with them. I was able to get some serious Zach (Jo and Evelyn's baby) time in which I loved, and I had a really great time visiting with Stanley, Evelyn and the whole crew. It was a fun day. (I think I said that already) We tried to show the Jesus Film to the orphans and widows, but it stopped working half way through- of course. So we will finish next Saturday and I will be able to share my testimony.

When we got home, after a quite tiring day, we had visitors on our front porch… (I retracted my feelings here about always having random visitors appear on our porch). It was Pastor Kuzala and his wife…quite an interesting little chat. I am honestly too tired to remember most of it, but I am sure that some meeting or trip was set up knowing the Malawians. Ha. All in all, it was a good day. Looking forward to more good days in this place I have grown to absolutely love.

Today (Sunday), we had plans to visit Abusa (pastor) Sakwiya’s church. Wasn't so excited about it... wish we could just go to Madzanje Baptist again. I love love love worshipping with the Malawians, but I hate being the skeptical- it is so disruptive and awkward. So, every time we visit a new church, we have to go through the whole awkward introduction thing again. So many times a day, I want to make this my introduction,

"Hello! My name is Alyssa and, why yes, I do have white skin!"

Anyways, like I said, our PLAN was to go to church at 10 a.m. in Sakwiya's church, and be on our way home by noon. REALITY was that we arrived at 10 a.m., and were then informed we were going to witness a special ordination of a local pastor-to bishop. Ok, no problem. Five hours later (no, I'm not exaggerating) we left the ceremony. Problem. Not just five hours of wonderful, worshipful, church... five hours of a traditional ceremony in a language we do not understand. It was FREEZING cold- not to mention the ant hill that our chairs were directly above! (Ok, now you know I can whine with the best of them). All whining aside, I should be appreciative of the warm and friendly hearts of our Malawian friends. We learned a lot and it was a nice thing to experience... once!

Being that our day was almost over once we arrived home, we are going to chill for the rest of the night. George is coming over to look at the geezer again and I suppose we might make a trip to the hospital to triple check that there is no baby yet.

I am having such a blast. I love this place, these people, my team, and my Lord who is allowing me to experience such a wonderful thing. It is a hard thing to explain, my emotions. I can't imagine giving up my family and friends to come here full-time. That thought is painful. But the thought of leaving this place and my family here is equally painful. I don't understand how my heart can feel so divided. All I know is that July 29th is going to be one of the hardest days I have ever experienced.

Tomorrow we have plans to meet with all of the guardians for our non-residential kids. It is important that we are all on the same page. We need their support. We need them to encourage their kids to be faithful to the program. It should be a good day. I am looking forward to it. Finger's crossed that tomorrow will be the day we meet baby Chilijembumba!"

Gertrude has been sleeping on the CONCRETE floor since she has been in labor (since Thursday)! PLEASE pray for her. Poor thing. It is customary here that you do not receive a bed until you have your baby. Can you imagine?

LONGEST POST EVER! I hope you like the pictures! HAPPY SUNDAY EVERYONE!

What's a post without a picture of these favorites?!

This picture is from a while ago... I took a whack at pumping water like Malawians have to do multiple times a day. I got through a bucket and a half. HA

I love this picture... water is so precious here.

How beautiful is this place? I love it. The only thing is that the clouds move the wrong way!

This is Stanley and Bruce after we got a new bike for the ministry! They were very excited. We made two trips to the capital this week (Lilongwe). One with the chief and the other with these guys to run some errands and pick up the vitameal for this month. It was a lot of fun.

One of my favorite parts of the latest LLW trip was being able to learn about Feed The Children. I was able to meet Jim Campbell- head of FTC-Malawi and we were also able to see their warehouse! Unfortunately, this is the only picture I'm allowed to post. It was so neat to learn about how this ministry works.

My team :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh Alyssa!!! I can hardly read your posts without bawling my eyes out! It feels like it was yesterday when we were there. I can't believe I am home and you are there. To see pictures and hear stories it is just like reliving it all. I pray for you a million times a day. We miss you like crazy! I love that I can read your stories and picture exactly what you are talking about. Like the people showing up on the porch and walking through town. All too familiar!! Give everyone a huge hug from us and keep us posted on Bruce and Gertrude and the baby!! We love you! Erin

    ReplyDelete