Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Ok, I am back! We have had a dreadful time with our internet lately, but I hope that you enjoy the picture post. They aren't really in any particular order, but you don't know the difference, ha. This past week has been wonderful. I love this place so much. People keep asking me if I am counting down the days to come home and my reply is yes... but not because I am particularly looking forward to going home. I am counting down the days because it is going to tear my heart into pieces to leave this place and these people. I try to remind myself that I can come back and at the same time steer clear of reminding myself how much each visit will cost :)

I love Zach so much. He is such a great/sweet baby. We have become great friends.
These boys are in our non-residential program. They are so fun... Esau is on the left and I love talking with him- he has the best english.
The guys at Esther's House got a soccer team together last Sunday. It was so much fun watching them play. Derek played the entire 90 minutes and the Malawians were quite impressed.
Anybody want a baby antelope? Only 500 Kwacha!
This last Friday, the kid's english teacher wasn't able to come to Esther's House for their lesson and so Derek and I taught the kids about nouns, verbs, and punctuation. I quickly became aware that it had been a while since my last english class!
Here are some of my favorite guys taking a sugar cane break :)
We all got together at E.H. to watch the final World Cup game. There were bats. I don't like bats. The boys caught them for me and threw them outside. It was quite hysterical.
Stanley :)
Cute girls at the soccer game...
This is a game that all of the kids in the village love to play. Don't ask me how they do it, but they run along the roads trying their best to keep their wheel rolling. I think they use some sort of cane to keep it going...
We were able to take a day last week for some site seeing. It was a fun and busy day. We went to the top of a very tall mountain in Malawi- Zomba Mountain, we went through the Liwonde National Park- a drive through Safari, and we also visited Lake Malawi (3rd largest lake in the WORLD). It was more like an ocean... it contains fresh AND salt water. Weird. It has wonderful sandy beaches and you can't see the other side of the lake at all. We arrived at this resort just in time to watch the sunset. We ate a wonderful meal before heading home. It was such a fun day, but I definitely missed being in Ntcheu with our friends.
Here is Lake Malawi again...
I was definitely not expecting to have my toes in the sand this summer!
This is a picture from the game park. The only two elephants we saw, but so cool. We broke the rules and got out of the car to chase them down.
Chief Kwataine! He is the T.A. (Traditional Authority) for our district and lives about 100kl from Esther's House. This is at the top of Zomba Mountain. We visited a beautiful hotel at the top of the mountain.
I feel like we travel so much every week! This is from one of our MANY trips to Lilongwe (the capital). Jo is such a joyful man. He is so much fun and is a wonderful addition to the E.H. team. He definitely has the joy of the Lord. I will miss his encouraging friendship greatly.
Ok, so Precious didn't quite get the "make a funny face" thing. Ha. I love this boy.
Bruce and Getrude :) They are so special to me... such a sweet couple. G is recovering well. The Lord's hand is so evident in their lives.
Here is another picture from the soccer game. It was a tie this week- but Jo and Bruce are convinced we will win this week. Derek has promised them a red bull before the game on Sunday- they are quite excited.
Bruce and I on Malawian Independence Day.
Good friends. So sweet.
I love this picture. These are our non-res girls. They are so much fun. Get the word out- we need more sponsors! Visit puremission.org for the details.
Last but not least, Cindy and I up a tree. This was at Club Mak- the resort on Lake Malawi. This tree was so big, perfect for climbing.

Hopefully, our internet connection will become more consistent, but then again, I have been hoping that for the last 6 weeks :). I will do my best to post again soon. Thankful for your prayers always.

Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment