Sunday, July 4, 2010


Yes, your eyes are seeing correctly! Two posts in two days! But don't get too use to it ;)

Happy 4th of July to everyone at home! I'll have to say I am extra appreciative of our wonderful country this year... of our healthcare system especially. (Hopefully I'm not speaking too soon Mr. President.) We have had a wonderful Sunday here, in my second favorite country. We went to Madzanje Baptist again today, because our very own- Stanley- was preaching this morning! I have been looking forward to this for days. Stanley has already become a very special friend. I am going to miss seeing him! Anyways, no time for sap. (Even though somehow, someway we have passed the HALF way mark to our trip a few days ago. Sad.) Stanley did an awesome job. He spoke in Chichewa, but every few minutes he would look over and summarize in English. We missed Bruce and Gertrude, but it was a good morning worshipping with our friends.

We have had a lot of down time today due to no electricity. This is part of the reason I have been able to write so much. I am the worst at using spare time to my advantage- I will admit right now. But I enjoyed my down time this afternoon by watering our yard :) We have LOTS of plants, but no one to keep up with them. I found it quite peaceful. It also gave me an excuse to let my face soak up some sun rays. I have yet to wear sunscreen and I have yet to get any sort of sun. They weren't kidding when they said it was winter over here. Most days, my attire involves my fleece jacket, if not more (It's quite stylish paired with my ankle length skirts. HA.)

Later in the afternoon we were able to walk over to the hospital to see G. I was SO happy. Because we have been sick, we didn't want to risk spreading anything. So today, Cindy and I are feeling much better and had to get over there to check on her. She is doing so much better. There is absolutely no way a person could come this far from such a tragedy without the hand of God. It is so evident. We are so thankful for all of the prayers and support. Anyways, we watched her walk around and had such a good visit. Her sutures were taken out today, so Lord willing, she will be released to go home tomorrow. I can't tell you how excited I am that she won't have to stay in that room anymore, so you know she is probably more than ready.

This evening we were invited over to Chet and Leigh Anne Burns house. They are missionaries from Washington that live down the road. We had a nice dinner and visit with them and then they even surprised us with a fireworks show! It wasn't Fireworks At the Crosses, but it was so nice. They had invited some of their Malawian friends, which was very funny to watch. Most Malawians have never experienced fireworks before--- the babies cry, the mothers run, and the men mostly just ]clap! Just about how Americans react!

I love these pictures from today. They are so special. Today made me miss my home, but my emotions are hard to explain. I am excited to see friends and family when I get home in August, but it is going to be bittersweet. Being there means I am not here...

I am going to miss my team


Stanley and I before church

Jo!


Soon after church was over, Stanley asked why I hadn't taken a picture of him preaching... I, thinking it would be highly inappropriate, refrained from flashing my camera in the middle of the service. We had a quick reenactment after church :)

Isaac with Derek's backpack. The boys love Derek. He is their futbol buddy.

Evelyn, Zach, and I... I get upset just thinking about not seeing them everyday.

This is from my visit with Gertrude today! She has a special place in my heart.

Look at her! She is doing so good! Praise the Lord...

1 comment:

  1. Lyss-

    I am so excited to hear all that God is doing over there! I am so excited about Gertrude! Thanks for keeping us updated! I know that your life and the lives of those in Malawi will never be the same.

    ReplyDelete